In big games like last night it needs a collective team performance to get a positive result. Last night we got that. Many are pointing to the waning star of Chelsea as a reason for the victory. I think that does Arsenal a disservice and we have much to be proud of,.
I’m loathed to pick out individual performances from such a fantastic team effort, but here are some that stood out for me.
– Wilshire, Young Jack excelled last night. Showing a maturity above his years he was no over-awed by the occasion and excelled in his role. Up against the likes of Fat Frank and Essien he played extremely well and its worth noting that the central midfield of Chelsea were very poor last night. Even swapping Mikel for Ramires did not inspire an insipid performance, no doubt they were hampered by the bustling of Wilshire, Fabregas and Song.
– Song, A great performance by the guy that Wenger said lacked the engine to be a central midfielder (no doubt kidology to make him work harder in training). He was snapping at heels from the first whistle to the last and covered every blade of grass. He’s not perfect, but his goal was well taken and his performance deserves noting. His contribution in keeping Chelsea’s midfield quiet was significant.
– Fabregas, Back to his mercurial best, if not trying a bit hard at times, it was a great game to have him for as his dynamism, drive and vision was a constant thorn to Chelsea and he deserved the applause he got when Wenger brought him off early to an ovation. Excellent performance from the skipper.
– Djourou & Koscielny, Both played extremely well last night to shackle the Drog. Both showed the best and worst of their games. Koscielny wandered once or twice into midfield and got caught when Chelsea broke, Djourou’s timing of headers and runs with opponents was a bit hit and miss but between them an excellent performance.
– Theo, always a threat last night. Cashley was in trouble as soon as he got that stupid booking for kicking the ball away. Theo went past him time and time again and put in crosses (mostly poor) and had a shot on target which forced an excellent save from Cech. Theo’s vision to put Cesc through clean on goal was excellent and he showed great composure to score his goal. Another performance showing the best and worst of a young professional who is clearly improving and showed that in abundance last night.
So, in summary and excellent performance all round. Not one player did poorly and will have much to be happy with today. Next game is paramount however, you’re only as good as your last game and we need to go to the DW up ‘ere in Wigan tomorrow night and get a result.
I’ll see you there in the cold and rain Gooners, its a shame Cesc is suspended, he would have ruined Hendry Thomas and Diame.